Virtually every religious tradition teaches us that we are the stewards of creation. When you join DEIPL, you gain access to programs and resources that will help you and your congregation fulfill this responsibility creatively and effectively.
Delaware Interfaith Power and Light is one of 40 state affiliates of Interfaith Power and Light. Our strength comes from this nationwide network. Our many resources will help you and your congregation learn more about these issues and also conserve energy, use energy efficiently and find and choose renewable energy sources.
- Sample sermons and prayer services
- Small group discussion or study guides Link to IPL’s Study Guide Library
- Our e-newsletter with information about events, rebates, efficient lighting programs, new products, discounts and more
- Films and other materials about scientific and faith perspectives on climate change Link to IPL’s Film LIbrary
- Books are available here, including the Rev. Canon Sally G. Bingham’s book Love God, Heal Earth.
- Three videos by Katharine Hayhoe, evangelical scientist, climate change researcher, and wife of an evangelical Christian pastor. Hayhoe shares her beliefs about God, climate change, and the difficulties of balancing her beliefs.
- The Catholic Coalition on Climate Change has published a much-anticipated toolkit for catholic universities and colleges that are pursuing sustainability initiatives. The toolkit Sustainability and Catholic Higher Education: A Toolkit for Mission Integration is organized around the five main principles of the Catholic Climate Covenant: pray, learn, assess, act, and advocate.
- For anyone who really wants to learn climate science (or wants a refresher on one area), here are free downloadable videos of climate science 101 courses from the U. of Chicago: Global Warming: Understanding the Forecast
Energy Efficiency and Renewable Energy Resources
- The Guide to Green Mortgages / Energy Efficient Mortgages is a comprehensive consumer guide to energy efficiency, “green mortgages”: MortgageLoan.com
- From ACEEE, this white paper offers descriptions of the different types of loan structures and mechanisms most often used in energy finance. Energy Efficiency Finance 101
- Discounts on energy efficiency products like lighting and Sears appliances at our online store for congregations: www.shopIPL.org
- “Consumer Guide to Home Energy Savings” from Amazon in paperback or Kindle Condensed Online Version is Here
- Energy Savers: Tips on Saving Energy and Money at Home – download
Energy Surveys for Houses of Worship – Interfaith Coalition on Energy
- National IPL – IPL Cool Congregations Audit and Checklist From Kansas IPL - Do It Yourself Energy Audit for Congregations
- www.coolcongregations.com online carbon calculator
- Information on local energy efficiency programs and rebates – Energize Delaware
- Periodic giveways: early release films, CFLs
- From the Massachusetts IPL - What you can do – Everyday Environmental Stewardship
- Energy Star is a joint program of the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency and the U.S. Department of Energy helping us all save money and protect the environment through energy efficient products and practices.
- From Energy Star, 2011 Federal Tax Credits for Consumer Energy Efficiency
- Native Energy is a climate solutions pioneer and recognized leader in the US carbon market, offering services that reduce carbon emissions to fight, global warming. Interfaith Power and Light works with Native Energy to offer carbon offsets.
- The American Council for an Energy-Efficient Economy is a nonprofit, 501(c)(3) organization dedicated to advancing energy efficiency as a means of promoting economic prosperity, energy security, and environmental protection.
Faith Resources – Sermons, Holiday Ideas and More
- Holiday Ideas from the pages of Georgia IPL, you will find a list of resources, educational offerings, blessings, gift buying guides, and more to help you and your faith community care for creation during every holiday season.
- Season of Creation, a Christian expression of ecological faith that is celebrated throughout the month of September, 2012, ending with St. Francis Day. This Australian site has a great number of resources covering Liturgy, Sermons, Children themes and music.
- Creation Care Season 2011 Resources is a publication from the Episcopal Diocese of Massachusetts that contains excellent ecumenical resources as well as Episcopal oriented information.
- Faith Organizations and Climate Change is a compilation of statements of faith by major religious organizations, by the Environment and Energy Study Institute.
Resources for Lectures on Ethics and Climate Change
Compiled from the recommendations of IPL leaders from across the US, this page has great suggestions for leading discussions on religious ethics regarding Climate Change.
Public Policy Updates
- E-mail Updates about local, state and national climate change public policy issues
- Action alerts and sign-on letters for relevant policy issues inviting your participation – let your voice be heard!